Since four of us are grandmothers (Dorothy, Marlene, Elsa and Maja), we share the photo of one of the grandchildren, Adam Depinski of Warsaw, Poland, with wishes written by Maja:
May your Heart by light as a Feather
May your Smile be bright as the Sun
May your Days be sweetened with Laughter
Happy Holy Days of Loving Kindness & Fun!
Maja Trochimczyk and Village Poets
POET LAUREATE APPLICATIONS
DUE JANUARY 15, 2017
Applications are now available to become the next Poet Laureate of Sunland-Tujunga, for the years 2017-2019. The deadline is January 15, 2017.
The Poet Laureate as a community leader should be comfortable with public speaking, appearances and interviews and should be able to speak clearly and capably. We seek a person whose life and works reflect a love of our area which includes the flora, fauna, mountains, creeks and our diverse human community. This is a person who is the voice of our community, a cheerleader, a person whose words give wings to the heart of Sunland and Tujunga. During his/her term in office the Poet Laureate is encouraged to publish a collection of his or her works, as in a chapbook, for historical documentation.
1) All applicants must be at least 18 years old and active members of the local poetry community. The candidates should be residents of the Foothills, from Lake View Terrace to La Canada Flintridge, inclusive of Sunland, Tujunga, Shadow Hills, La Crescenta and Montrose. They must show a history of active interest in the local community and will be expected to actively engage with the community activities of Village Poets.
2) All applicants must be able to demonstrate an active participation in poetry activities through publication and/or featured poetry readings.
3) The applicants must agree to serve as Poet Laureate for a term of two years, including volunteer activities, poetry readings, publications, and other projects contributing to the promotion of poetry and the arts in the community.
4) The Poet-Laureate of Sunland Tujunga must commit himself/herself to attending the Passing of the Laurels Ceremony on April 23, 2017, as well as a similar ceremony at the end of the term in office, in April 2019. The Poet-Laureate must also demonstrate an engagement with the local poetry community by attending at least six of the eleven monthly readings organized each year by Village Poets in Tujunga, CA.
HOW TO APPLY
Please download, print and return the application form (PDF) from Villagepoets.com website: Application 2016. Attach the following:
1. List of publications and featured readings
2. Sample of poetry (approx. five poems, with two about Sunland-Tujunga)
3. History of community service.
4. One paragraph discussing a favorite poet.
5. One paragraph describing how you as Poet Laureate would promote poetry.
Submit the Application form with a sample of poems, other items 1-5 from the above list and a check for $15.00 made out to Little Landers Historical Society (LLHS, with Village Poets of Sunland Tujunga noted on the check), and send the package to:
Poet Laureate Selection Committee
c/o Marlene Hitt
10728 Plateau Drive
Sunland, CA 91040.
If you have questions regarding the Poet Laureate program call Marlene Hitt at (818) 951-1041, or email Maja Trochimczyk, at email@example.com.
Please check our website www.villagepoets.com for further information.