The Poetry and Literature Committee of Sunland-Tujunga, co-chaired by Joe DeCenzo and Marlene Hitt, announces the search for the New Poet Laureate who will serve for a two-year term in 2012-2014.
The information about the position requirements and application format is enclosed below.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
January 31, 2012: DEADLINE for all applicant’s materials
February 26, 2012: notification of Finalists
March 11, 2012: Reading of finalists before the committee, at Bolton Hall, 4:00 pm (required for all finalists)
March 16, 2012: Public announcement of new Poet Laureate for 2012-2014
April 15, 2012: Passing of the Laurels Ceremony at McGroarty Art Center, 3pm
The Poet Laureate Position in Sunland-Tujunga
What is required of this position?
All applicants must be at least 18 years old and reside in the Sunland-Tujunga community. The position includes duties that involve adapting well to a variety of occasions: the maker of a toast, the bestower of a prize, the dedicator of a park, the composer of an ode to the Little League team, etc. As well as a position of high honor, it is a position of COMMUNITY SERVICE. The Poet Laureate serves a two year term.
The applicant should be:
• a resident of Sunland or Tujunga (which includes Shadow Hills - zip codes 91040 and 91042), and must be at least 18 years of age.
• a poet of good craftsmanship and one who has made an effort to study this craft and to hone his/her individual voice.
• comfortable with public speaking, appearances and interviews and should be able to speak clearly and capably.
As the poet represents the community, he/she should be a person of good character and one with a track record of contributing to the betterment of our community. We seek a person whose life and works reflect a love of our area which includes the flora, fauna, mountains, creeks and our diverse human community. This is a person who is the voice of our community, a cheerleader, a person whose words give wings to the heart of Sunland and Tujunga.
The Poet Laureate is encouraged to publish a collection of his or her works, as in a chapbook, for historical documentation. Those who choose the Poet Laureate are people with extensive knowledge of the community, educators, and those involved in arts and literature. Names of those judges may be presented upon request.
Becoming Poet Laureate of Sunland-Tujunga is not only a great honor it is a commitment to the community. The Poet Laureate is expected to use his or her talents and means to make the community more aware of poetry.
While there are no specified duties for the Poet Laureate, the Poet Laureate of Sunland-Tujunga is expected to hold a reasonable public presence in the community.
Each Poet Laureate provides community service according to his or her special skills. In the past, Sunland-Tujunga Laureates have read poetry at community events and public schools; they have also written commemorative poems and created programs for the Arts, given speeches and readings. Each Laureate has produced at least one book.
SUNLAND-TUJUNGA POET LAUREATE APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS
1) All applicants must be at least 18 years old and an active member of the Sunland-Tujunga community. You must show a history of active interest in Sunland-Tujunga.
2) Applicants must be able to demonstrate an active participation in poetry either through publication or featured poetry readings.
3) Applicants must agree to serve as Poet Laureate for a term of two years.
4) Please review the entire Requirements documents to be found at our website www.villagepoets.org
Please fill out the following:
Printed Applications Forms are available at:
~ Mcgroarty Art Center 818.353.5285
~ Marlene Hitt 818.951.1041
~ The Sunland-Tujunga Branch Library
Please provide the following:
1. List of publications and featured readings
2. Sample of poetry (approx. five poems. Two poems should represent Sunland-Tujunga)
3. History of community service.
4. One paragraph discussing a favorite poet.
5. One paragraph describing how you as Poet Laureate would promote poetry.
Submit completed poetry and items 1-5 from the above list and a check for $15.00 made out to McGroarty Art Center and send to:
McGroarty Art Center, Poet Laureate Applicant
7570 McGroarty Terrace, Tujunga CA 91042
If you have questions regarding the Poet Laureate program call Marlene Hitt at (818) 951-1041. Or E-mail to email@example.com
Please check with our website www.villagepoets.org for complete schedules, full Poet Laureate requirements, and further Poetry information.
Photos (C) 2010-2011 by Maja Trochimczyk